When Hurricane Ike made landfall in the wee hours of September 13, 2008, it left damage and deaths in over 34 Texas counties. Still today, it’s the third costliest hurricane in American history, only behind Katrina (#1) and Andrew (#2).
Long before Hurricane Ike’s landfall, the staff at Kelsey-Seybold dedicated itself to serving patients with a dose of old-fashioned personal attention. (The Kelsey-Seybold Clinic was founded in 1949.) But the staff didn’t stop there. The clinic invested heavily in information technology (IT) to improve the patient experience and to give physicians greater access to medical information.
With Hurricane Ike’s landfall, leaders of Kelsey-Seybold were prompted to find a safe and reliable colocation data center. Patients desperately need them during emergencies, and they always – no matter the weather and its destruction – need access to data to best care for their patients.
Challenges Facing Kelsey-Seybold
After investing significantly in IT in the early 2000s, Kelsey-Seybold experienced explosive data growth and the need for storage. Plus, the clinic had no long-term disaster recovery plan, which was amplified when it experienced several hours of downtime due to Ike’s destruction.
Clinic leaders considered building and managing a new data center. (Kelsey-Seybold already had three onsite data centers.) They soon realized the exorbitant cost of constructing and maintaining a structure equipped with security and backup capabilities, along with having room to grow.
Why the Kelsey-Seybold Clinic Chose FIBERTOWN
After considering other options, Kelsey-Seybold chose FIBERTOWN for multiple reasons.
- 10-Year Growth Plan. FIBERTOWN delivered a plan for storing hardware securely as Kelsey-Seybold continues to grow and to collect more data.
- Accessible Business Continuity. With FIBERTOWN within driving distance of the Kelsey-Seybold Clinic in Houston, the clinic leased space in our Business Continuity Center for some of its full-time personnel to monitor and perform maintenance.
- Reliable Power, Cooling and Networks. Our Bryan-College Station data center has over a dozen Internet Service Providers connecting you to every major city in Texas. Plus, it’s a carrier-neutral, concurrently maintainable data center, offering high availability N+1 or greater power and cooling in a secure, hardened facility.
- Cost Efficiency. By contracting with FIBERTOWN, Kelsey-Seybold was able to consolidate three onsite data centers into one, plus have room to grow. They saved money and time.
- Knowledgeable, Round-the-Clock Service. FIBERTOWN’s data centers are staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year with knowledgeable IT professionals to answer your questions and to perform needed maintenance.
- Our facilities are built with redundancy for every component and can provide 100% uptime for our customers.
Contact FIBERTOWN to Learn More
Is your organization like the Kelsey-Seybold Clinic? You’re doing great work but know you need secure, reliable storage for your hardware to ensure business continuity. Even during a hurricane, ice storm, rolling blackouts and more.
We’d love to learn about your needs and determine if FIBERTOWN can help you too.
Use our contact form to start the conversation.